The Giants beat the Padres 15-11 tonight in the highest scoring game in Pac Bell's short history.
San Diego starter Dennis Tankersley took the loss--really that's his name. It's not a Berman-ism or a pun or a palindrome or anything. Not to be confused with Dennis Eckersley, Tankersley retired no one and allowed 7 runs. He had a 4-0 lead before his first pitch and what did he do? He gave up a:
- four-pitch walk to Durham plus a stolen base.
- 1-2 single to Feliz
- 2-1 single to Aurilia (Durham scores)
- five-pitch walk to Bonds to load the bases
- five-pitch walk to Cruz (Feliz scores, 4-2)
- six-pitch walk to Snow (Aurilia scores, 4-3)
- 2-1 double to Torrealba (Bonds and Cruz score, 4-5)
And that was it. Hit the showers. Snow and Torrealba would later score on a single by the pitcher Jensen. So seven men faced, three hits, four walks, and seven runs.
Not bad for his first start of the season. I can't wait to see what he does the next time out.